The New Researchers Sessions (NRS) are an inclusive space for anyone with an interest in voluntary sector research. We do not offer a specific definition of what a ‘new researcher’ is and welcome anyone who feels that the space we provide is suitable for them. You may be new to research, new to the voluntary sector, or new to a particular project or role. You may be a student, in an academic career, a practitioner, or somewhere in-between.
Online NRS sessions take place quarterly. We also have dedicated time and space at the annual Voluntary Sector and Volunteering Research (VSVR) conference for New Researchers, providing additional face-to-face opportunities for New Researchers to present their research, share ideas, and meet other researchers.
We aim to give the people who come along to our sessions an opportunity to:
- Meet and share ideas with other new researchers
- Present their work and get constructive feedback in a supportive environment
- Network with others who have an interest in the voluntary sector
- Help and encourage each other through peer-support and mentoring
- Learn from more experienced researchers through webinars and presentations
- Own the sessions through contributing ideas, developing new opportunities, and hosting events
Many people who have gone on to establish careers in the voluntary sector and voluntary sector research started out in the NRS and so there is lot of support for the sessions from others in the VSSN family.
Please join the New Researchers JISC mailing list and follow the VSSN Twitter account to receive updates on the New Researchers Sessions.