Opportunities to become more involved with the Voluntary Sector Studies Network and Voluntary Sector Review
Would you like to support the work of VSSN more actively? Do you have ideas about how you’d like to see the network develop?
If so, please consider nominating yourself for a place on either or both of:
- the VSSN Steering Group
- the Editorial Management Board of Voluntary Sector Review, the journal produced by VSSN with Policy Press.
VSSN is a volunteer-led organisation and its success relies very much on the commitment, time and energy of members of these two groups.
VSSN Steering Group (SG)
This year there are three vacancies on the Steering Group.
The term of office is normally three years in the first instance. The maximum term allowed by the constitution is six consecutive years. Being a member of the Steering Group means also becoming a trustee of the VSSN.
Specific roles on the Steering Group are allocated by agreement after the election. Roles include Chair, Treasurer, Secretary and leading on, for example, membership and marketing, day seminars and the annual conference.
What are we looking for in a member of the SG? Commitment to VSSN and its continued success is the most important quality, but this year we are also keen to encourage self-nominations from members with skills/experience in accountancy/ numeric analysis, event organization and membership development. We also want to improve the diversity of the Steering Group and would welcome interest from under represented groups who can bring lived experience which may be of value to our Network.
Details of existing Steering Group members and their roles can be found at https://www.vssn.org.uk/about-us/people/ VSR Editorial Management Board (EMB)
This year there are two vacancies for the VSR Editorial Management Board (EMB). The term of office is three years in the first instance, with an opportunity to stand for another three-year term.
The role of the EMB is to:
- support the editorial team (currently Daiga Kamerade, Carl Milofsky and James Rees)
- ensure that high editorial standards are maintained
- represent VSSN in working with the publisher, Policy Press
- ensure the journal is produced in accordance with the Publisher’s Agreement.
If you would like to be more involved but don’t want to join the Steering Group or Editorial Management Board, there are other voluntary roles which are equally valuable and help us develop our networks and activities. For example, we are currently looking for:
- people to join our ‘small grants committee’
- people to join a new team we are setting up to help shortlist the best paper award at next year’s Voluntary Sector and Volunteering Research Conference
- a volunteer to moderate the VSSN email discussion list – an important role but not an onerous one which would only take a few minutes of your time each week and full training will be available if required.
If you are interested in finding out more about any of these roles please contact Jane Cullingworth on firstname.lastname@example.org. You must be a current member of VSSN.
If you have any questions about the self-nomination process or would like a copy of a nomination form, you can find the forms here (please complete the forms by pasting into a word document and sending by email) or please contact us by email via email@example.com. We look forward to receiving your nomination forms soon. Nominations close on Friday 23rd October.