VSSN’s next day conference will take place on 16h November from 11.00-4.00 – venue and format yet to be decided. The title is Activism and Voluntary Sector Research: two sides of the same coin or different currencies?
In this one-day event, we will explore the relationship between activism and voluntary sector research. We invite presentation proposals from academia and from practice that illuminate the potential and challenges of integrating personal activism and voluntary sector research. Many voluntary sector researchers are motivated to produce research that contributes to social change and reflects their own commitment to challenge social norms, but institutional pressures, performance measures, and ideas about what constitutes ‘good research’ often mitigate against such integration.
This event aims to explore:
– The potential for integrating personal activism and voluntary sector research
– The divide between voluntary sector studies and activist research
– Research methodologies for integrating activism and voluntary sector research
– The challenges of integrating activist goals into a successful research career
– The opportunities presented by the current emphasis on knowledge exchange and research
More details to follow.