***Extended deadline for VSSN development opportunities small grants scheme***
In light of the current situation, particularly the strikes that are taking place,
VSSN have decided to extend the deadline for the small grants scheme until the 27th
For more information on the scheme please visit
We look forward to receiving an application from you.
All the best,
The VSSN team
Applicant guidelines: VSSN development opportunity grants
2019-20 Call Outline
The Voluntary Sector Studies Network invites applications from members for proposals to support and develop an idea or activity that will benefit voluntary sector studies in the UK. The grant can be used to fund seminars, workshops, roundtables, webinars, podcasts, film/animation and other activities linked to research, learning and teaching. The main focus will be to bring individual researchers and/ or practitioners and/or policy makers together to create a dialogue on a voluntary sector and volunteering related issue. In particular, we encourage applications that will provide on-going dialogue.
Eligibility and suitability
Successful applicants will be expected to:
- Ensure that the proposed activities are undertaken and the grant is spent within 12 months of the notification of the award. However, any events should not be held in May, September or November due to potential clashes with key VSSN events and conferences.
- Publicise their event as widely as possible, including through VSSN channels Write a short report/ statement/ blog after the event for the VSSN website.
- Use this as an opportunity to advertise the VSSN to potential new VSSN members (including marketing via other channels, distribution of VSSN leaflets, use of VSSN logo, etc.).
- Tweet during the event using the VSSN account.
- Consider the venue/ location of the event to widen the reach of the audience, except where proposed activities are for a pre-specified group of people.
Applicants for the development opportunity grants are required to fill out the application form either online or download and email to firstname.lastname@example.org . The application form asks for details of the applicants involved (name, role, institutions), and a clear outline of the activities proposed, purpose of these selected activities, rationale for this proposal and timescale. Please include a provisional budget providing a breakdown of anticipated costs (e.g. travel, refreshments, venue hire) and whether any other funding has been applied for or received from other sources. These costings need to justify the proposed activities.
You may bid for an amount up to £750 and can bid as an individual or as a group (although there will need to be a lead on the application as the main contact and will be responsible for the small grant). The cut off point for funding applications is a combination of how much money we have earmarked in the annual budget for the programme (£1,500 for 2019-20) and the application quality. The lead applicant must be a member of VSSN. If the application involves a group please specify the reason for this collaboration. The deadline for applications is Friday 13th March 2020.
If you are interested in using an alternative medium application e.g. video please do get in touch. Please send your application or any enquiries to email@example.com
The VSSN development opportunity grant assessment panel will consider all applications that have been submitted for call (applications submitted outside of this period will not be reviewed). Successful applications will be expected to provide a short end of funding award report on the activities, a version of which will be published on the VSSN website. We will announce the successful applicants mid- April2020.
All expenditure must be auditable including a breakdown of costs incurred, receipts and invoices, and will need to be claimed no later than 6 months after the activity.