A wide range of courses on voluntary and community sector studies are offered by the institutions which VSSN members belong to. Details these courses appear here in our online Courses Directory. If you are a VSSN member and your course is missing but you’d like it included (or details updated) please complete the ‘Add new course’ form at the bottom of this page (note this will only appear when you log in to the website).
If you are not a VSSN member please email firstname.lastname@example.org to provide information about your course.
Birkbeck University of London
- Community Leadership - HE CertificateDepartment of Geography, Environment and Development. Undergraduate (level 4), Part-time. Contact Becky Briant (email@example.com).
- Community Development & Public Policy - B.Sc.Department of Geography, Environment & Development. Full or part-time. Contact Becky Briant (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Corporate Social Responsibility - MSc (PG Dip, PG Cert)The Department of Management offer a range of post-graduate modules including Corporate Social Responsibility, Sports Management. Contact email@example.com
City University London
- Grantmaking, Philanthropy and Social Investment - MSc (PGDip, PGCert)Cass Business School. PG Cert has an April start. Contact Paul Palmer (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Ute Spittler, Charities Programme Coordinator (email@example.com).
- Charity Accounting and Financial Management - MSc (PGDip)Cass Business School. PG Diploma has an April start. Contact Paul Palmer (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Ute Spittler, Charities Programme Coordinator (email@example.com).
- NGO Management - MSc (PGDip)Cass Business School. Contact Paul Palmer (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Ute Spittler, Charities Programme Coordinator (email@example.com).
- Voluntary Sector Management - MSc (PGDip)Cass Business School. Contact Paul Palmer (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Ute Spittler, Charities Programme Coordinator (email@example.com).
- Charity Marketing and Fundraising - MSc (PgDip)Cass Business School. Contact Paul Palmer (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Ute Spittler, Charities Programme Coordinator (email@example.com).
- Final Year Project - UG (project)Cass Business School. Final year project (as part of B.Sc. Management) based on consultancy for a charity or voluntary organisation.
- Transnational Social Movements - UG (module)Department of International Politics. 2nd year module as part of the B.Sc. in International Politics. Contact Thomas Davies (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Cork, Ireland, University College Cork
- Masters in Voluntary and Community Sector Management - MAFor those wishing to develop a career in management / coordination in the voluntary / community sector or in the public sector where the work relates to people-centred social service or community care provision. Running since 2008, it is taught one day a week over two years. Eight different departments contribute modules to the programme. Further information on this programme is available from an online prospectus (link above).
Edge Hill University
- Third Sector Management - MScBusiness School. Third Sector pathway on the M.Sc. Leadership and Management Development. Contact John Diamond (email@example.com).
Goldsmiths University of London
- Social Entrepreneurship - MAInstitute for Creative & Cultural Entrepreneurship. Contact Richard Hull (firstname.lastname@example.org).
London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE)
- Third Sector, NGOs, Social Policy and Development - PG (modules)Post-graduate modules (with international perspectives) as part of MSc Social Policy, MPA in Public Policy & Management, MPA in Public & Social Policy (and Development). Further link http://www.lse.ac.uk/resources/calendar/courseGuides/SA/2015_SA4H9.htm . Contact for Third Sector - David Lewis (email@example.com) and for NGOs, Social Policy and Development - Armine Ishkanian (firstname.lastname@example.org).
London South Bank University
- Public Administration - MPABusiness School. Postgraduate modules in Social Enterprise; Strategic Management in Public & Not for Profit sectors.
National University of Ireland Galway
- Leadership and Management for the Community and Public Sector - MA (PG Dip/ PG Cert)St Angela’s College, Sligo. Contact Maria Gallo – Programme Director, Centre for Lifelong Learning (email@example.com).
- Introducing the Voluntary SectorFree online course. Introductory level.
Save the Children
- Volunteer Management and TrainingContact Anne Layzell (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Sheffield Hallam University
- Co-operative Leadership & Responsible Management - M.Sc.This degree is under development. Contact Christopher Dayson (email@example.com) for further details.
St Mary's University Twickenham
- Charity Management - MA (PGDip. PGCert)Contact Geoff Paul (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Volunteering - UG (module)Module. Contact Victoria Bell (email@example.com).
University College London
- Youth and youth movements in the modern world - UG (module)Institute of Education. Education module focusing on youth volunteers / activists. Contact Georgina Brewis (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Voluntary Organisations NGOs and the British Public 1914-1985 - UG (module)History module, Year 2 / 3. Contact Georgina Brewis (email@example.com).
University of Bath
- Social Policy / Development Studies - UG (module)Department of Social & Policy Sciences. UG module on Third Sector is under development. Contact Rana Jawad (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Ed Stevens (email@example.com).
University of Bedfordshire
- Public and Voluntary Sector Management - PG (UG)Department of Business, Management & HRM. UG & PG module. Contact Christina Schwabenland (firstname.lastname@example.org).
University of Birmingham
- Third Sector in Social Policy - PGDepartment of Social Policy. Contact John Mohan (email@example.com).
University of Brighton
- Sports Volunteering - UGSchool of Sport and Service Management. Undergraduate Module. Contact Angela Benson (firstname.lastname@example.org).
University of East London
- International Development with NGO Management - UGSchool of Social Sciences. Contact Susannah Pickering-Saqqa
- NGO & Development Management - M.Sc. (PG Cert)School of Social Sciences. PG Cert by distance learning. Contact Meera Tiwari (email@example.com).
- Sociology (Professional development) - B.Sc.School of Social Sciences. Modules include 21st century Social Welfare; Planning & Fundraising in Third Sector; and Social Problem Solving through Communty / Voluntary Action.
University of Kent
- Civil Society, NGOs and Non Profit Studies - MAContact Harriet Armstrong Viner (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Jeremy Kendall (email@example.com).
- Social Justice Practice - UG (module)Standalone undergraduate module (SO686). Contact Eddy Hogg (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- The Third Sector: Charity & Social Enterprise in Modern Society - UG (module)Standalone undergraduate module (S0645). Contact Eddy Hogg (email@example.com).
- Volunteering - CertificateKent Student Certificate for Volunteering (SO670) (Platinum Award). IoF accredited. Contact Eddy Hogg (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Philanthropic Studies - MABy distance learning. Contact Triona Fitton (email@example.com).
- Voluntary Sector Issues - PG (modules)Various PG modules linked to PG programmes, including on concepts of civil society & third sector, volunteering, fundraising, philanthropy and donors. Contact programme leaders on the specialist University of Kent masters listed separately and also Beth Breeze (firstname.lastname@example.org) in relation to modules on fundraising, philanthropy and donors.
University of Liverpool
- Volunteer - UG (module)Department of Sociology, Social Policy & Criminology. Undergraduate modules at levels 2 & 3. Contact Louise Hardwick (email@example.com).
University of Northampton
- Social and Community Development - B.A.Modules include volunteering, faith & global communities, community development, community involvement, social change. Contact Mark Allenby (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Victoria Boulton (email@example.com).
University of Roehampton
- Voluntary Action - PG (UG) (module)Business School. Modules related to voluntary action including placements in voluntary organisations. Contact Steven Howlett (firstname.lastname@example.org).
University of St Andrews
- Non-Governmental Organisations: contexts, contributions and challenges - UG (module)Contact Eleanor Burt (email@example.com).
- Managing Non-Governmental Organisations - PG (module)Contact Eleanor Burt (firstname.lastname@example.org).
University of Stirling
- Sociology / Social Policy - B.A.School of Applied Social Science. Volunteering and Society (module). Contact Alisdair Rutherford (email@example.com).
University of Ulster
- Voluntary Action - PG (module)MPA programme (p/t) module. Contact Markus Ketola (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Voluntary Action - UG (module)Social Policy and Health and Social Care. Final year module. Contact Dr Markus Ketola (email@example.com).
- Voluntary and Public Sectors: Policy and Practice - MAContact Pat Green (firstname.lastname@example.org)